Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Freedom Run

Four weeks ago I decided I wanted to get into running. I went for a long run and came home with huge blisters on my feet. I had never had such bad ones before and could barely walk for two days. I forgot how bad my shoes were and usually didn't run too far in them because my feet would start hurting. I had a goal so I pushed through the pain and kept going. Curt saw my instant blisters and said that I should go get some real running shoes. So, that is just what I did. I went to a running store and came home with these beauties:


Yes, they are hot pink. I asked the guy at the store twice if they came in another color, but he said no. I was hoping for something not so bright, but when the shoe fits it fits. They are amazing and I love them! I feel like I am not even wearing shoes. (Sorry that was kind of long about my new shoes).

Anyway, I was talking to my friend Rachel about running and she mentioned that she was registered for the 10k Freedom Run and that I should register too. I was a little hesitant and didn't know if I could do 6.2 miles. After much debate and lots of talks with Rachel, I decided to register. So, on Monday I woke up early and headed to Kiwanis Park in Provo and ran my first race.





I had so much fun and felt great the whole time. I am really glad I did it. I enjoy running and the satisfaction that it brings. Oh, and they gave a Finisher Medal to everyone, so don't think I got first place or anything. I enjoyed it so much that I have already signed up for my next race... a half marathon.

I also wanted to add some shout outs. One to my friend Rachel. Thank you so much for helping me get into the sport of running! If it weren't for you I wouldn't have my amazing shoes, wouldn't have run a 10k this week, and wouldn't have signed up for a half marathon today.

And two, to my wonderful husband Curt. Thank you so much for supporting my new running addiction, for waking up at the crack of dawn on our day off to drive me down to Provo for the race, then waiting for me to finish, and most of all believing that I can do anything I set my mind to. I love you!

4 comments:

Traci said...

Good job on doing the 10k! (I will stick with 5Ks)

Sean and Alison said...

Wahoo Mouse! That is awesome! I am excited to hear about the half marathon! You rock!

Anbre said...

So...I am really excited to hear about this, because I'm currently addicted to running and am almost finished training for a 10k. I'm hesitant to do a half marathon, but your story is motivating me to think otherwise. We should do one together!

Rach said...

Way to go Larissa! you are a running machine! don't be scared of your next race, you can physically do more than you mentally think you can!! GO LARISSA! Keep us posted on how this is going for you! I am sad I won't be working with you to hear about all your fun times, its so true - sharing stories help to keep motivated and moving forward. Good for you.